Originally from Dumfriesshire, the Crichton-Brownes were a family of medicine and science, as two of the family were significant figures in the fields of psychiatry, mental illness, and lunacy. The ‘Crichton’ name was not derived from any progenitor but was instead an invention of William Alexander Francis Browne, a great reformer of mental asylums, who named his son James Crichton-Browne after James’ godmother, Elizabeth Crichton. She established the Crichton Royal Hospital, where William Browne spent much time working to encourage patients through writing, art, and drama. James Crichton-Browne was in this tradition also, and he was knighted by Queen Victoria for his work, and he was associated with many of the great Victorians.
The man who would reside at Buildwas from 1887 was Harold William Alexander Francis Crichton-Browne. He rented the Park from this time until 1928/1929 when he bought it when the house and land was sold by the Moseley Family.
Author and Explorer
Harold was well-educated, attending university, college school, and Magdalene College, Cambridge. Crichton-Browne himself was tall and well-built, like his father, and was known to enjoy reading, smoking cigars, and occasionally cursing.
At University he became a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, his importance was revealed when Mr. Joseph Thomson, an explorer who would later work for Cecil Rhodes, brought him across the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. They were the only Europeans on this expedition, accompanied by a band of locals. During the expedition, Crichton-Browne faced both fortune and misfortune; Sir James recounts that upon reaching Marrakesh, a serious outbreak of smallpox began, but thanks to his advice to have the company vaccinated before the journey, they remained safe. He also was stung by a scorpion.
They encountered attackers, prompting Crichton-Browne to create a diversion so Mr. Thomson could escape. He traversed previously unexplored mountains, scaling the Tizi Likumpt at 15,000 feet.
After Thomson was recalled to England while in Casablanca, Crichton-Browne was left in command of the party for three months. Due to this expedition, he gained considerable fame and subsequently received a commission in the Bechuanaland Border Police, which he felt obliged to accept. This meant refusing another offer by Cecil Rhodes to join his own police force.
In 1892, two years after receiving his commission, he was captured by the Matabele tribe and taken to Bulawayo, where he was fortunately well entertained by the king of the Matabeles, Lobengula. Previously, he served in the second battalion during the Boer War and subsequently joined the third battalion of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers, where he held the rank of captain and, alongside Lieutenant Neilson, commanded A and G companies. He relieved the town of Koffyfontein, central to mining in South Africa.
Buildwas Park
Many worked at Buildwas Park, the staff included: William Tough from Huntly, Aberdeenshire, served as the butler and batman, he worked for Crichton-Browne for 45 years; Frances Sumner, was a housemaid and later a parlormaid. included Emily Stewart from Coalbrookdale, the housemaid; Mr. James, the chauffeur; Stanely Tough, Head Gardner and Annie Tough, the cook. The family also employed both Jack Heaths (father and son), Ted Lewis, and a French governess.
Harold's Funeral
Harold Crichton-Browne died in London on October 1, 1937, at the age of 71. His body was brought by road to Buildwas Church, where he used to attend, draped in the Union Jack, and he was buried there. The chief mourners included Mrs. Crichton-Browne, Sir James (father), Captain and Mrs. Lloyd (his son-in-law and daughter), Mrs. Taylor (his sister), Kenneth Hollebone (his nephew), his cousins, and his butler, Mr. William Tough. His wife, Josephine Margaret Crichton-Browne,is also buried at Buildwas Church. She died in 1940.
Harold's Funeral
The demolishing of the manor.
War Years
During the Second World War, the park was requisitioned by the government and used by the Americans, who left it in disarray. After the war, most of the house was demolished, except for the lodges and the stable block, which still stands today.